Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Losing My Religion

You may be pondering after reading some of my blog posts what religion I am.
If you read some of my backstory in the beginning of the blog, you'll see that I used to be a Christian. After being disillusioned many times by church, I decided to leave it all behind, and now I am officially "non-religious" or claim no religious affiliation. That does not mean that I don't believe in spiritual things anymore. I am a theist (meaning that I believe that there is a God) with some Christian principles, such as generosity, charity, hospitality, love (you know, the stuff that real Christianity should be about, instead of all of this religious bullshit). I actually believe much of what the Bible says and plan on reading it and learning more and more throughout my life. I just don't use the 3,500-year-old book to decide how to live my life in the 21st century, and I don't take it word-for-word literally inerrant - especially the English translations. I am fully content being where I am at the current time and wish I had arrived here much, much sooner. So much of my life has been torture and misery simply because of the church's shenanigans. A lot of things need to change for me to go back - primarily the doctrines of eternal torment in Hell (how silly!) and the church's staunch anti-sex stance.

I saw this YouTube video a few years ago by Darin Hufford, a former Pentacostal preacher. Fantastic work! I highly recommend you hear all six parts of this sermon. The title of this post reflects the title of his sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment