Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I'm Tired of Being a Christian

I'm tired of being a Christian. Oh my God, am I ever...am I ever over being a Christian. I have mentioned before that I don't call myself a Christian anymore. Well my friends, I've reached the point that I don't want anything to do with this thing called "Christianity" or organized religion. And I'm finding out that I'm not alone.

Anne Rice once posted on Facebook, "I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen." She went on to say in an interview that she "wanted God to be the center of [her] life and somehow [she] was in bed with the devil." I can understand where she's coming from. I feel like christianity has turned into an almost (ironically) satanic cult. That's a very serious charge. Let me qualify that by saying that many things that have been taught by the church throughout history are actually the teachings of devils (check out 1 Timothy 4:1, as it is a clear prophecy concerning this). Mandy Steward, in her blog, stated that the term "Christian" is a title, but that she "can’t hold onto a title that I’ve been asked to honor, when the title is leaving me bitter and angry and lying to myself. I have an affection for people like Anne Rice and Gandhi who at least are daring enough to be honest about the dangers of a word that so many blindly reverence." She goes on that what she is learning is that her relationship to God is something that is a very personal journey, something that is often-times unclear, awkward, and even messy. And she is finding that she is liking it and that God actually cares far less about her "imperfections" than she does. I suggest you read her article. In response, Justin Wise on his blog BeDeviant.com, wrote that Mandy was "sharing about how tiring it is to make our walk with Jesus about something more than our walk with Jesus. When we make it about not drinking or no cussing or being at a certain building on a certain day of the week, we lose. The Gospel loses. It never has been and never will be about those things." Amen.

As for me, I would like to go to a church that at the very least has an unconventional stance on two topics: hell and sex. I want to have teaching that goes beyond "only true Christians are saved and the rest (which is billions of people, by the way - many of which would only be guilty of unbelief) are damned to hell for all eternity, their flesh burning off of their bones in never-ending torment." I want teaching that says more than merely you can't do this, you can't do that when it comes to sex. I want teaching on how to truly capture a girl's heart, not merely what you can't do with her. Haven't found anything like that yet.

What about you? Are you fed up with today's Christianity? What would you like to see change?


No comments:

Post a Comment